FREEWARE Supporting Learning Difficulties
Date: 11th March and 8th April 2019 (2 evenings)
Time: 7pm to 9pm
Venue: Educational Assistive Technology Centre, Main Building, BM-036, University of Limerick
Aims & Overview
The aim of this course is to demonstrate the use of free software applications (freeware) to support students with learning difficulties in their education. Attendees will receive training on strategies to support students across platforms and operating systems. This course will be of particular benefit to those would like to trial assistive technology strategies before purchasing professional software, or those supporting students or organisations with limited funding options. Participants will benefit from the EATC’s trainers 15+ years of experience supporting students with specific learning difficulties using assistive technology. Specific strategies on how to support students with specific learning difficulties (dyslexia, dyspraxia, etc.) in primary, post primary & third level will be demonstrated.
Participants will learn to utilise the main features of this software, including
- Text to speech
- Creating audio files & books
- Utilising Spell checking
- Intro to Voice Recognition
- Utilising Highlighters & Summaries
- Colour enhancements for visual stress
- Students with dyslexia, students struggling with literacy and other learning difficulties, and parents.
- Teachers supporting pupils with SEN.
- Full-time Special Education Teachers who are currently working with students with special education needs.
- Educational professionals and support personnel including, SEN Coordinators, Special Needs Assistants, Speech and Language Therapists, Educational Psychologists, Occupational Therapists, support workers working in disability organisations and charities.
- Participants will need basic computer skills such as being able to open folders and programs; use Microsoft office; file documents’. Knowledge of specialist software or advanced skills is not needed.
- Participants should bring a USB key if they want to take a copy of the training notes and a trial version of the software.
- Participants can bring their own device if required, however all attendees will have access to a device with the latest software and apps.
|Course date||11-03-2019 7:00 pm|
|End Date||08-04-2019 9:00 pm|
|Speaker||University Of Limerick|
|Number Hours||2 hours|
|Location||Educational Assistive Technology Centre, University of Limerick|