Teaching Writing Genres
DATES: 12th February, 5th March, 26th March and 16th April 2019
TIME: 4pm to 6pm (Tuesdays)
VENUE: Clare Education Centre
This course offers practical support to teachers at all levels in supporting the teaching of writing genres. Many of the ideas suggested can be modified for use with children at different developmental phases. Teachers will explore a range of practical activities to support the teaching of writing and will be given a bank of resources to help implement a long term plan for a variety of genres.
Outline for Session 1 - Tuesday 12th February 2019
Outline for Session 2 - Tuesday 5th March 2019
- Explored the teaching methodologies associated with writing
- Provide an overview of a number of forms/genres used in writing.
- Explore The Gradual Release of Responsibility Model through one text type- Writing to Describe/Report Writing
- Explored some teaching and learning activities associated with Writing to Describe/Report Writing
Outline for Session 3 - Tuesday 26th March 2019
- See the effectiveness of Modelled Writing as a teaching Strategy
- Provide an overview of Narrative Writing.
- Make explicit the framework used in this form.
- Outline ways of teaching children narrative text structure
Outline for Session 4 - Tuesday 16th April 2019
- Provide an overview of Recount, Explanation, Persuasive and Procedural Writing
- Make explicit the framework used in these forms
- Outline ways of teaching students these text structures
- Understand how children learn grammar
- Be aware of options for teaching grammar in context as well as some problem solving strategies to teach grammar
- Look at long term planning for implementation
- Gathering resources to implement a long term plan