Registrations for Féile Fichille Chess Tournaments in early 2023 are now OPEN - register here (deadline to register is Fri Oct 21st)
Ficheall.ie is the national network of primary teachers promoting chess in their schools for the social and cognitive benefits it has for primary school students. Ficheall.ie teachers use chess as a tool to teach through and an opportunity for their students to develop new skills and values, as well as representing their school at Ficheall tournaments.
The Ficheall.ie website contains many excellent resources created by fellow primary school teachers such as:
- A series of 10 beginner chess lessons (with optional integration to the SPHE curriculum)
- Listed CPD courses for teachers (summer, evening and online courses)
- Chess numeracy puzzles
- Ficheall newsletters with chess updates
Féile Fichille Chess Tournaments
Clare Education Centre have partnered with the Ficheall network of teachers this year to give your school the opportunity to play fun and friendly games of chess at a one-day tournament in early 2023. Such a tournament is organised geographically and is called Féile Fichille or Chess Festival. Féile Fichille tournaments are non-competitive events as no medals, prizes or trophies are presented. Instead, the day is a celebration of the students’ learning chess and social skills as well as their teachers’ leadership skills to introduce the initiative in their school. For many students it is their first opportunity to wear their school jersey and represent their school. Before school shutdown in March 2020, Féile Fichille tournaments had almost 4,000 students, across 32 tournaments, from over 200 schools take part. We are delighted that 2023 will see the return to face-to-face Ficheall tournaments. Féile Fichille tournaments are divided into two sections; Masters' Section for 5th & 6th class, and Buds' Section for 3rd & 4th class. More details about Féile Fichille Tournaments can be found here (including a checklist to ensure students are ready for the Féile Fichille tournament).
The fee for each 8-player team entry is €40 (€5 per player) and schools may register up to 4 teams in total, across Masters' and Buds' sections. The deadline for both online registration and payment is October 21st 2022. Ficheall.ie is a network of voluntary primary school teachers and is a registered company limited by guarantee (a not for profit organisation). Financial statements and Ficheall policies can be viewed here.
Féile Fichille Timeline 2022/2023
- October: Féile Fichille Tournament Deadline - Friday 21st October 2022 - Register Here (schools are asked to list unavailable dates in the registration form)
- November: Schools informed of tournament date and venue (registration fee can be refunded if Féile Fichille date does not suit and Ficheall informed within 2 weeks)
- January, February, March: Féile Fichille tournaments will be scheduled in term 2 of 2022/2023. Registered schools will be allocated one Féile Fichille tournament to attend. Schools are required to be at the venue at 9.30am with the event concluded by 2pm